Tuesday, April 7, 2009

18 Month Check Up


William had his 18 month check up yesterday and is doing quite well. He has grown to be 34 inches tall and weighs 24.6 lbs (50th and 17th percentiles). He’s a little guy but has followed the same curve since birth so the Doctor is not concerned. William is doing great! He currently has 13 teeth and is cutting 2 more as I write this. He knows over 30 signs and uses them in place of many words. In the last week though his speech has improved quite a bit and we are frequently recognizing many more words come from his little mouth. A fun little side story – While at his cousin’s house on Saturday evening, William pointed to his cousin’s Star Wars p.j.’s and said “Yyyyoodah”. Big word for a little guy and all the cousin’s giggled about little William’s recognition of Yoda.  

William has been working on his colors and shapes and can get most of them correct (when he wants to, of course). He can also follow very complex instruction/direction.  His behavior has also improved tremendously since implementing the ‘Time Out’ stool last week. And I for one am very pleased about that.

William’s imagination has also taken flight. Sunday he read to me for the first time ever. He babbled long strings of words, pointed to the pictures, turned the pages, and continued on with his story. He also has begun to growl. He has distinct growls and roars to differentiate between being a monster and a dinosaur (it’s too cute and I’m trying to capture it on video). Finally, last night while playing William showed us that he has true recognition of himself. I asked him to find his Mommy and he pointed to me. I then asked him to find his Daddy and he pointed to Mike. He did the same for his kitty and his ball; finally I asked him to find William. He thought for a moment, said “uhhhh,” smiled, and pointed to his chest. It was a super cute and became a fun game for the entire evening.

I cannot believe how fast the time has gone these last 18 months. I love my baby boy and am so thankful for the little gift we have been allow to care for, nurture, and help develop.  Sooner than we’d like I know that we will be saying, “Where did the last 18 years go?”

 

 

See and download the full gallery on posterous

Posted via email from William's World

No comments: