Tuesday, March 31, 2009

And it begins...


The terrible two’s…

It has begun (actually it began about a month ago but I’ve been in denial). William is becoming his own little person equipped with his own uniquely stubborn character traits (bitterness oozing from my typing fingers). For about the last month Wm has been acting out in defiance. He demandingly shouts “NO” as he hits, kicks, and pulls my hair. His aggression/aggravation has mainly been directed at me as Mike can quickly put Wm into compliance with a stern look or tone in his voice.  My attempts to scold however have been met with giggles and fits of hysterics. In any case, I have spent the better part of the last month completely frustrated. I don’t think that spanking is the correct method to curb a seventeen month old’s hitting habit, scolding and shaking a finger proved pointless, and ignoring the situation simply brought about more hitting, kicking, etc.  Finally, I think we have a solution. We have put into place the ‘Time-Out’ stool. Yesterday was the first day that I tried out our behavior modification method/theory and guess what…IT WORKED!!!!! William kicked me during a diaper changing and I immediately took him to his stool and made him sit for one minute. I sat in front of him and explained that he was in ‘Time-Out’ and why. At first it was funny but when he tried to get up and walk away he quickly realized that this was not a game. Last night he again hit me and I again took him directly to his stool. He cried and said “Noooo Momma” but there was an understanding that he had done something bad. This morning he began to behave as if he were about to hit. I asked if he wanted to go to ‘Time-Out’; he immediately switched gears and signed ‘Sorry’. We avoided the stool for the moment but I think that we are finally on to something here…

 

Posted via email from William's World

1 comment:

Mama Parker said...

((HUGS))
It's so hard sometimes! Time-outs work for us too. You're not alone. :)